The ABC’s of Moving from Concept to Concrete
We are overly dependent on electricity. When we moved here, we were assured that power
doesn’t go as often on this part of the Island because the power company
upgraded the line to the University of the West Indies Five Islands
campus. We’re on that same line. But low and behold, today, a loud popping
sound pierced the stillness of the morning, and I immediately knew that power
had gone.
I deliberated on whether to turn the generator on or not in the
hopes that the outage was temporary, but that was not the case. This would not have been an option had
we not made the plan and sacrificed to buy a generator a few years ago. We couldn’t afford one of those quiet, sleek,
LPG-powered generators. We could only afford a loud, 5Kva diesel bargain
branded one. I can’t complain since it
gets the job done. Now that we have the
generator, we aren’t as concerned about the power outages as we might have
been.
Louis Pasteur is credited with the notable quote, “fortune favors
the prepared mind.” Our generator
experience would seem to support this idea, but lots of people make the
preparation for power outages but don’t have the resources to implement their
plans. How do we move from concept to
concrete? How do you turn your vision board or your varied journal entries
into action steps for arriving at your preferred future?
I generally look to scripture for answers to these probing
questions and have discovered that this process is Analytical, Biblical,
Communal, and Directed.
1. Analytical
“By wisdom
a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge
the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.” (Proverbs
24:3–4, NRSV)
Wisdom, understanding, and knowledge are the
trifecta of analysis that facilitates movement from concept to concrete. You can think of these as existing on a
continuum as these terms are often used interchangeably but have a subtle
difference in meaning.
Wisdom, translated from the Hebrew word, חָכְמָה (ḥokmâ) “generally refers to
practical skill or special expertise ranging from technical skills to
shrewdness, discernment, or understanding.[1]
Understanding,
translated from the Hebrew word, תְּבוּנָה (tebûnâ) “refers to understanding applied effectively
and competently in relevant situations.[2]
Knowledge, translated from the Hebrew word, דַּעַת (daʿat) “abstractly refers to the capacity, content, and recollection one has for knowing someone or something, especially based on one’s own experiences.[3]
Every problem requires technical expertise, competence, and experience to move from concept to concrete. Wisdom is necessary for erecting the house, but understanding is needed to keep it in place. My experience of power outages created a desire to have some sort of contingency in the event of an extended power outage, especially in the case of a hurricane. My wife has often shared her experience of being without power for months after the passage of Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Given that knowledge, wisdom dictated that we acquire a generator, but we didn’t understand how this would be accomplished.
2.
Biblical
Many people take for granted how much the Bible says about planning. A litany of passages come to mind, including Lk 14:28, Ps. 102:25, Isa. 48:13, and Heb. 1:10. The purpose for interjecting this point here is to affirm that the Bible supports the idea of planning for your future. Some believe we don’t need to plan since God plans everything for us. I will dare say that is highly irresponsible and if you don’t believe me, just read Proverbs 24:30-34 in a modern translation for further clarification. I’d like to suggest that God desires that we be intentional because He is intentional. The Scripture declares, “He has made the earth by His power, He has established the world by His wisdom, And has stretched out the heavens at His discretion.” (Jeremiah 10:12, NKJV) Planning is a divine attribute, and if we believe that man is made in God’s image, it stands to reason that human beings ought to be intentional. A famous passage quoted by Christians regarding God’s plans reads: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11–13, NIV) If you didn’t get the point, let me make it plain. The Bible encourages planning, but don't throw your hands up in despair when you get frustrated with moving from concept to concrete. Just ask God for help.
3.
Communal
When moving from concept to concrete, it is important to seek wise counsel. We should first seek it from God, but most of us aren’t tuned in to His will, so we don’t hear Him so easily. That’s not necessarily an indictment on anyone, just a statement of reality. As such, God tends to work through the people we encounter in our lives. We have natural blind spots, things we don’t know or can’t anticipate because we simply don’t have the experience. Having lived on an island that experiences frequent power outages, I have nurtured a desire to have a home that is not entirely dependent on the public power grid. But to turn that desire into action, I needed to talk to people who shared that experience and had ideas they could share on how to fix it. Their experiences have provided much-needed council for moving from concept to concrete. Like the scripture says, “Plans are established by counsel” (Proverbs 20:18, NKJV)
4.
Directed
“Commit
to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.” (Proverbs
16:3, NIV)
“The
human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps.” (Proverbs 16:9,
NRSV)
These passages help me recognize that while I
would like to think I am totally in control of my future, I really am
not. Now, I realize that some of my
readers do not hold the same worldview as me, but please bear with me for a
moment. Proverbs 16:4a makes the point
that there is a purpose for everything in Creation. This is in line with the text quoted earlier
from Jeremiah 29. Thus, even though I
lack the analytical skills necessary for planning, I am not overwhelmed by my
lack. I do not need to succumb to the
paralysis of analysis when I begin with the thought that God has a purpose for
my being here. Once I shift the focus from
myself to God, planning becomes a discovery process. Discovering my passion, talents, skills, and other resources that God has prepared for me to take
advantage of the growth opportunities that arise during my life. Even though I may focus on the destination,
as that may be the source of motivation for mobilizing these resources, I enjoy
the process because of the accrued benefits.
The relationships and experiences in this process accrue like “precious
and pleasant riches.”
[1] R.
P. Nettelhorst, “Wisdom,” ed. Douglas Mangum et al., Lexham Theological Wordbook, Lexham
Bible Reference Series (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2014).
[2] Ibid.
[3] Ibid.

Comments
Post a Comment